View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Nickzor
Semi-Pro

Default How many matches has Federer lost when he's had Match Point

He's my Fav player on par with Nadal, but as great as he's been over the last decade i think he's had more tough losses then any other player in tennis history, Wimby 2008, 3 french open Finals in a row, US Open 2009, 2 consecutive US Open semi finals while having 2 match points in each, the list goes on.

Off the top of my head i can think of 4 matches he's lost while having match point and they were all pretty big matches

Australian Open 2005 Semi-final against Safin had match point in the 4th only to lose 7-9 in the fifth after 4 hours and 40 minutes, If he won he would have faced Hewitt in the final, Fed demolished hewitt at the 2004 US Open 6-0 7-6 6-0 , this was the last slam before this Australian Open and I'd bet my House Fed would have taken the trophy had he got to the final.

US Open 2010-2011 Semi-Finals vs Djokovic both times, he had Matchpoints in both matches and lost in both of them! He may have a mental block against Nadal but i believe he would have won at least one of the finals had he got through, winning 5 in a row i don't think i'd be wrong on that.

Rome 2006 Final vs Nadal, 5 hour long match lost when having 2-3 match points and playing out of his mind.
Nickzor is offline   Reply With Quote