View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #57
Laurie
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by abmk View Post
*finally* a few point this out ..that performance is over-rated beyond belief ....

that wasn't even pete's best performance on grass, IMO that would be the wimbledon QF vs stich in 92 ...I wonder how many of the so called die-hard pete fans even saw that performance !?

and yes , 99 YEC final was a bit better than the wimbledon 99 final
I think it it easy to get carried away when looking in hindsight 14 years after the event but I don't think that performance was overated by any stretch of the imagination, it is easy to get caught up in overexcitement and make pronouncements.

But in context, Agassi had just won the French Open so became the first player in decades to hold all four majors in his career. Plus the day before he played one of the best matches I have seen Andre play against Rafter in straight sets (semis were on Saturday due to weather problems backing up the schedule). And he was set to take over as world number 1 and was seen as slight favourite with the pundits / media.

And after being 3:3 love 40 in the 1st set, the pundits thought their prediction would be realised, so the way Sampras responded from that position is not overated, it was his best performance in a big match, its a shame it wasn't an epic because that's what people want to remember (five set thrillers) but Agassi was playing really well and Sampras just raised his level to where Agassi couldn't match.

Sampras' performance against Stich was excellent, his return of serve and passing shots were superb on a slightly muddy surface (again bad weather to blame there).

I also like Sampras' performance against Bjorkman in 2000, that's not talked about much but Sampras made Bjorkman look almost like an amateur for a set and a half.
Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote