View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Jackofalltrades
New User

Thank you all for your quick replies;

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpotapov View Post
There is no poly that will last 8-10 hours, elasticity wise. Considering that you are based in Europe, Dunlop Black Widow would be the best choice of all poly mains in terms of cost/performance (it's really cheap there). But please cut it out after 5-6 hours to avoid health issues, like with any other poly.

For my daughter I would use natural gut/synthetic gut hybrids and then switch to poly crosses in due time. After all, this is the champions choice for both ATP and WTA tours. Depending on technique, can be more cost effective than poly/syn gut hybrids. Full multi is not even an option for hard hitting junior, neither for durability, nor for performance reasons. Just not enough movement/snap back by today's standards.
A Dunlop Black Widow reel can be bought for 90 euros overhere, cheap indeed. However, I'm not a stringer myself, so would prefer first to try a setup that would last for that 10 hours minimum. Natural gut seems an expensive option or would the lifetime be expanded seriously? Ive read about good tension maintenance of Rip Control and Duramix, but still no durability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeler View Post
Is the poly breaking in that time frame or the multi? Where is breakage occurring? Here are my favorite multis:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=352048
All breakage is in the centre of the sweetspot. We started hybriding with softer multi's, like Sensation; always the crosses breaking. With other stronger multis mostly the mains breaking.

I've read most of your excellent thread. Many of the American brands are not available overhere. Some other strings are real expensive. What remaining strings in your list would you suggest in our case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgs View Post
my son is 13.5 and also playing competitional tennis - currently he is playing the mantis power poly in the mains at 21kg with the mantis power syn in the crosses at 20kg.

i think a 17gauge = 1.22-1.25mm poly in the mains would be o.k., both the babolat pro hurrican tour and the tecnifibre black code would be interesting. i'd also look out at the pro's pro blackout, which in my opinion is a a(almost) perfect replica of the black code at 1/3 of the price.

a syn gut in the crosses is a feasible approach, but i would take much care in regard to the gauge - a 16g (1.30mm) syngut would stiffen up the stringbed too much in my opinion, i'd rather go with a 17g. according to my experience, the thinning out of the syngut and the notching of the poly mains would be occuring at very close time intervalls.

matching a multi from this point of view is much more difficult, and i must also confess that the xcel has been beyond my price point - roughly 20euros per pack is simply too much for a cross in my opinion.
I wasn't aware of the importance of syn gut gauge; thank you! Xcel is expensive overhere too, but I had the opportunity to buy some Babolats hybrid-packs in sale!
Jackofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote