View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #56
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapvor View Post
335?

4 per hr is fast dude. i am around 3 and i just achieved that within the last month
*35, I wasn't even seeing straight when I wrote that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_skippy View Post
DD as far as removing string goes it will depend on the tournament level. With futures & challengers here in the UK, stringers do everything - book in, remove strings, string, stencil, bag & collect money. With ATP/WTA events there's usually staff for booking in, and they may also help cut out strings, stencil and bag; but stringers may also do some of this work. At Wimby stringers pretty much just string, with other staff sorting out the rest of the work; and the French Open is very similar.

During the Nottingham Challengers prior to Wimbledon (and is a mens/womens event with 2 separate event on consecutive weeks) we string nearly 500 rqts between just the 2 of us, and we do everything else as well.

I admire your speed. At a constant speed I look to do 3 per hour over a sustained period of time. Chances are I'd probably do 10 in 3 hours. Obviously timings can depend on rqts & strings.

Oh, nice idea for the streaming. Ionly be viewing some of the vids.

Regards

Paul
Thanks for the info Paul, 500 between two is mind boggling. I suffered a bit physically this tournament. I haven't been stringing much prior to this event, so my fingers definitely took the shock poorly the second day. By the third I was fine, though. I can only string ~4 an hour with strings removed prior, so it's a pretty unrealistic pace at an event that's set up like this. 3/hr or ~10/3 hours is pretty close to what I can sustain as well. I know for sure at the start of this event I wasn't even stringing 3/hr, I was probably closer to 2 during day 2. I'm not sure I got back to my "in shape" speed by the end, I'm not going to go back through those videos to find out either :P

Overall general notes of the tournament:

UVA was our #1 volume customer, if I had to guess without looking at the records. As a stringer, I absolutely love UVA as a 'customer,' the head coach's wife (I believe) is the stringer for the team, and she is the one that is charged with communicating and making up order slips for the team. She is an absolute joy to work with because she knows what it's like to be stringing for events and dealing with late nights, etc. I believe she worked last year's event when it was located outside of Seattle.

The frequency of stringing varies HUGELY by team. UVA is pretty good about standardizing their stringing needs. I believe UVA approaches stringing more closely to a 'touring pro' standard, as each player strings almost nightly. We had 5 frames dropped off in a single night from Jenkins (playing the number one spot this tournament). Other teams weren't stringing nightly, some only dropping off a handful of frames the entire tournament.

Pickiness and professionalism of looking at gear (related to the above) was also pretty variable. I found that only a single team or two actually talks to the stringing staff about machine calibration and accuracy. In the past (not sure about this year), UCLA travels with their own calibrator and requests a minute or two on the machine to see where we correlate with their home machine. I thought this was pretty cool to see. I think more teams should be doing this, but if EVERY team did this, it'd start becoming intrusive, IMO. One coach asked me if the machines "strung tight," and I wasn't exactly sure how to answer this. I asked what type of machine was used for their frames normally, and he confirmed "crank" when I probed more (I'm not sure if this is actually accurate, though). I recommended he drop a few pounds, and they kept those tensions throughout the tournament. I feel like this is an example of how teams can improve their experience -- if they had asked another person on our staff, they might have been playing with significantly different tensions, and who knows whether or not my recommendation (while accurate via an age-old rule of thumb) was correct..

Mistakes made in the stringing room were occasional, but more frequent than I'd hope. I feel that this is somewhat due to the nature and conditions of the event, but there were a few occasions and situations that could have easily been avoided if simple fundamental checks are made when approaching a frame.

We have a CYA policy in place that states all frames are strung 2 piece unless requested otherwise, but I tend to string frames like the Pure Storm series as a one piece. I had one situation where a differential tension was requested, and when i reached the crosses, I realized that if a coach/player only sees two knots (regardless of whether or not the differential tension request was honored), they might raise a stink due to the incorrect conclusion that the tension would magically equalize. I had to get a little creative and 'edit' my job into a two piece (since I hadn't yet started the actual crosses, this was simple, but annoying). That one was my bad -- I think it's better to not have to discuss stringing theory with the players, and not to make the job harder for the main stringer contact (a buddy of mine I hired to replace me when I left/graduated).

I didn't see any paint jobs or especially interesting frames this event. Some frames (stock) were surprisingly light, but many frames had pretty significant amounts of lead tape applied. I did see some very small, translucent labels with codes on them, but they were independent of frame brand, and I didn't see any pattern to the codes. I wonder if this was a customization service?

Tensions this tournament ranged from the high end of 70-68 (multifilament hybrids and very open patterned poly) to the mid 40s. I would hazard a guess that the average poly tension averaged out to be in the mid 50s. This has changed over the years, and the average has dropped quite a bit I'd say. I think the teams have adjusted pretty well with gear evolution. Solinco has been surprisingly pervasive in penetrating teams' string lineups. The feedback I was getting from the coaches was that they all really liked the Solinco rep, and that the level of service and offerings were compelling. Many (if not most ) teams were using at least one Solinco product. Tour Bite was the most popular, and I saw a spattering of Revolution, Barb Wire, and one team had a multifilament (although the name eludes me at the moment).

Other popular offerings this tournament were the Luxilons (ALU by far the most popular, followed by original, savage). I didn't see any fluoro reels this time around (but I could be mistaken here). Those were more popular in the past. RPM was a popular reel, and I was very thankful for this, as RPM is a joy to string (for a Poly). There was a few Head Sonic Pros, a Yonex Poly I hadn't seen before, but with an AWESOME texture for stringing. One non UW gut hybrid. Most frames were all poly, though. The hybrids were rare, and you can bet we fought for them

That's all I've got off the top of my head, let me know if there are any general questions!

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote