View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
tennisfan69
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
As I have referenced in a couple of threads recently I am doing a lot of work/research into the most effective coaching practices, specifically around the generic coaching skills rather than sports specific ones. The end goal being to make myself a better coach by having a better understanding of the principals of coaching.

So, with that in mind...is this good coaching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfcGkC83oY

Please remember, whatever your opinions on RL's technical knowledge, to judge objectively on the style, manor and delivery of his coaching (oh, and ignore all the waffle in the middle about singles sticks )

So - good coaching?

Cheers
Ash, I would say this is effective coaching. May not be perfect. But for that young age you don't have to explain why..you need to tell what to do. In this case he is telling the kid to start practicing to hit the ball two feet above the net MOST of the time. In another video he says he is not against USTA ball or academy ball, but most of the time hit hard and deep and flat.

He is known for this kind of thing and it has worked.

In the latest interview Federer said after all these years of just doing WHAT his trainer,fitness guy asked him to do, he is able to understand the WHY part. So.. It takes time to understand..
tennisfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote