View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
anubis
Hall Of Fame

There's a huge difference between doubles and singles around here. Just a few weeks ago I played a doubles match. My team beat the other team pretty handily, they didn't put up much of a fight. The stronger player kept double faulting and hitting long. He rarely hit it in, and when he did it was easy to take control of the point.

So we finished the game and he and I decided to play a quick singles game. I figured it would be easy, since he couldn't keep the ball in play and couldn't serve. Well, boy was I wrong. He easily bageled me. I never got more than 15 on any point. He aced me 6 or 7 times in one set. Hit winner after winner. I couldn't keep up with him at all.

So either he was doing a "reverse sandbag" routine, or I'm just a better doubles player and horrible singles player.

So I guess the point is, if you've played with some of the folks already in doubles and think you can take them in singles, then I guess you shouldn't really use any of your doubles history as a benchmark. That information just doesn't apply and probably can't help you in any way with planning your singles matches.
anubis is offline   Reply With Quote