View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
Ash_Smith
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyrick View Post
Also, the approach of the coach not saying a whole lot. I like that, too.
Agreed - I genuinely feel more learning takes place (by both parties) when the coach speaks less than the pupil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10isfreak View Post
The take homes? Adapt your speech to your audience and instead of focusing on what you say, focus on what the audience members get out of your speech.
Again agreed, so does RL do that in this instance?

There's a very interesting paper (at least to me ) by Frode Moen, Norwegian University of Science and Technology and Kristin Garland, University of Minnesota on the "Subjective Beliefs Among Sport Coaches About Communication During Practice", which touches on this very point - how the receiver of the message will decode the message according their own subjective version of "reality". Only through very good active listening can the coach figure out the individual athlete's reality and tailor their messages accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfan69 View Post
Ash, I would say this is effective coaching. May not be perfect. But for that young age you don't have to explain why..you need to tell what to do. In this case he is telling the kid to start practicing to hit the ball two feet above the net MOST of the time. In another video he says he is not against USTA ball or academy ball, but most of the time hit hard and deep and flat.
As I said, I'm not worried about the technical content, more so the delivery and effectiveness of the learning. You say this is effective coaching? How so? How many times does the coach see the desired result in the pupil - how many times, once practice starts, does he say "too high" "not that high" "don't hit that high" etc etc. Was his coaching intervention actually effective?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not ragging on RL, he's had great success doing what he does and I agree with Balla, and give him a lot of respect for sticking to his guns and defining his methodology. He just happens to be in the first clip I came across where a coach has a very distinct "style"

Cheers