krosero
Legend

2001 USO
Sampras - 39.8%
Rafter - 32.6%

2001 Indian Wells
Sampras - 42.9%
Rafter - 35.7%

Sampras lost the final to Agassi in 3 straight sets with an AM of only 15.5%, compared to Agassi's 25.5%.

A report in the press on the Sampras-Rafter QF which Pete won 4-6, 7-6, 6-4.
Playing matches of the quality of his 4-6 7-6 6-4 quarter-final victory over Patrick Rafter at the Tennis Masters Series-Indian Wells is what keeps tennis fun for Pete Sampras after all the years and so much success.

"It was a highly competitive match today. It was good tennis," the third-seeded Sampras said."(It) felt like it brought back my memories to Wimbledon last year," he said of the classic final against Rafter that brought Sampras his record 13 Grand Slam title.

"If I would have walked off there losing, I would have felt pretty good considering the way he played," Sampras said. "When you have stats like that, you can always say it's a high level of tennis."

In the hunt for his first title of the year, Sampras pounded 47 winners against only seven unforced errors, while Rafter had 40 winners and 14 unforced errors. "People enjoyed it. It was fun to be a part of it. Of course, I'm more happy that I got through it and won it," Sampras said of the two hour and 12 minute tussle that could well have been his best played match of the year.

Both Sampras and Rafter rely on an aggressive serve-and-volley style of play, but the former world number one had the edge from the service line.

"He serves very well, and when you serve that big you can take big swings on returns and that's where he does very well," Rafter said. "He's going to break you sooner or later. He's not the best returner in the world, but he is the best server in the world. He returns solid enough and consistently enough to break you."

After taking the second set, Sampras, the 1994 and '95 champion here, reeled off the first nine points of the third set, breaking Rafter early. He never offered the the 11th-seeded Rafter a chance to return the favour in the final set, only reaching deuce once on any of his service games.
krosero is offline   Reply With Quote