View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #35
ohplease
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega4 View Post
No, I've never been a tennis captain and probably wouldn't be a good one given my long absence from the game. But I have served in various leadership positions throughout my work career, whether it's managing departments comprised of multi-cultural persons or leading cross-functional teams.

While not exactly identical, I think there are some similarities when it comes to managing/coaching/developing/leading intelligent, ambitious persons (some with egos) towards achieving a common goal.

And if by some chance you actually believe that one can't comment on being a tennis captain unless one has actually served in that capacity, I think I don't need to drive a car off a cliff to know that doing so is probably a very bad idea.
Workplace management has difference vs. captaining that are subtle in appearance - but HUGE in effect. For example: people have to deal with their managers until they leap the hurdle to go get a new job. People can (and will) flake out on rec league captains with near zero effort.

Just about all captains have played for another captain as a team member at some point in time. Very few team members have captained. Unless you've actually captained, at best you can comment as a team member. The value of your comments regarding how one should captain is vanishingly small.