View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #29
Mahboob Khan
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshs View Post
Good points.

The one about focusing on depth is pretty realistic. Looking back, the depth seems to get shorter as the point grows longer, probably because the swing becomes more tentative???
A strange thing happened yesterday. I was playing against one of my Assistant Coaches. This boy is only 17 years of age. I am 63. I beat him first set 6/2, and in the second I am down 3-4 but I have a break point to level it 4-all. I hit a sizzling short cross-court winner but he somehow got to it and returned the ball back cross court, I hit a great down the line deep and I thought the point was mine but he got to it and returned it cross court (at this stage I decided not to wrong-foot him but rather make him run to enjoy the point), I took couple of steps back, got adjusted and hit a sizzling down the BH winner and moved forward but he somehow got to it and hit a great defensive lob which landed on my baseline, I sprinted back and reversed the ball back but he was at the net and tapped the ball for a drop shot winner. Instead of 4-all the score is now 3-5 down. At this point we got our coaching class so a comeback by me was pointless (I was out of breath also), and he won the second set 6/3.

Yes, tennis is a strange game and that's why we play it.
Mahboob Khan is offline   Reply With Quote