View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
dman72
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
ChicagoJack is implying (and I don't necessarily disagree with him) that the science behind the "myth of power" is that it is just that: a myth. Flexy vs. stiff, doesn't matter. A high SW flexy stick vs. a low SW stiff stick should produce virtually the same amount of power.

Again I don't disagree, I just want to know why it is that I experience two different things when I feel like I shouldn't.
And yes, it could be my inexperience. I'm not an awesome player, I have many faults with my strokes. But I am trying to improve my game.

I hit more winners, more aces and more shots stay in-bounds with a stiff APD, compared to a low powered, high SW, flexy "player's stick". All in all, I just "feel like" I'm hitting a faster ball with it.

But here's the thing: I don't *want* that to be the case. I don't want to use the APD, i want to use players sticks because they are better for my wrist. They produce no pain, and are softer on my arm. I just seem to lose more with them. So i use the APD so I can actually "win" matches.

I use the same string with all my racquets, I do my own string jobs, I use the same over grips and dampeners, so I try to keep all my different branded-sticks as similar as possible.

I just want to know what I need to do, as a player, so that I can keep using a Radical and win just as often as by using an APD. It could very well mean more coaching, i admit that. But if it turns out that due to the way that I play my game, if a lightweight stiff frame is the only thing that's going to ensure that I win matches, then I ought to take out an insurance policy on my arm!

Thanks.
The comparison should be made by finding a racquet with the same exact specs as an APD including string pattern, but just more flexible....not sure if it's out there, you might have to lead up a lighweight players stick to get there.