View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #61
zagor
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by droliver View Post
It is a complete revisionist history to try and call the Sampras forehand one of the greats.
No, his FH was a great shot, especially the running FH, it's a revisionist history to claim otherwise.

Quote:
He could really give it a rip, but it was not a super versatile stroke. It was a good kill-shot, but it was something that could be worked over and broken down.
You do realize Sampras was engaging in long rallies in his heyday with some of the best baseliners of his era (Agassi, Courier, Chang etc.) and actually held his own pretty well?

Quote:
A career of (relative) futility on the dirt kneecap the idea that he was GOAT-worthy off the ground.
So Soderling is better baseliner than Murray and Hewitt, got it.

Or perhaps you'll eventually realize that every surface is different and rewards/requires different strokes, movement etc. and a player who might be very effective from the baseline on HC for example might not be so on clay.

Take James Blake for example, his baseline play (he was a decent server but nothing special) got him to #4 in the world but he was woefully ineffective on clay.

Quote:
He had a stroke that worked well within the context of his game, but one that would suffer a lot against the better players today.
Better players according to you, with 31 year old Fed being #1 last year and winning Wimbledon, players like Almagro and Tipsarevic (and I like them both but let's be real here) in top 10, 35 year old Haas being in top 20 with his "outdated" (the guy turned pro in mid 90s) game, a lesser version of Chang like Ferrer beating up on everyone except top 4 etc. I kinda doubt players today are that much better than those in the 90s.

Quote:
I don't think there's a player on tour who would take the Sampras' shot over those Novak or Murray (or Nadal, Federer, Soderling, Berdych FWIW). Those guys can do anything with the shot in a way that Pete could not with his grips
And I don't think there's a player on tour (who watched Sampras play in his best days) who would take Soderling, Berdych's and Murray's FH over Pete's.

Last edited by zagor : 02-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
zagor is offline   Reply With Quote