View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
krz
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquis View Post
It's not a team issue. I think it is a corporate and management issue.

You guys really think the 'team' would rather face a superstar like Cristiano or LeBron* or such instead of having them on their team because of sexual orientation? Please. Sportsfolk want to win above all else. It's what defines them. (I'm not suggesting they are gay, just examples of really good players).

With major career defining events (world cup, superbowl, etc...) and so much money at stake players want the best guy on their team. They'll adjust if one of the superstars comes out. Players/team are a none issue.
Here is what Chris Culliver had to say and at least 2 others on that team agree. It directly answers your question.

Quote:
"I don't do the gay guys. I don't do that," Culliver told Artie Lange on his radio show Tuesday, via Yahoo! Sports, when asked if a gay teammate would be welcomed.

Culliver was asked if there were any gay players on the 49ers.

"We don't have any gay guys on the team," Culliver said. "They gotta get up outta here if they do. Can't be with that sweet stuff."

If a player was gay, Culliver suggested the player should keep that fact to himself.

"Yeah, come out 10 years later after that," Culliver said.
Here is what "corporate/management" had to say.
Quote:
There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community."
It would be PR suicide which = losses in revenue for corporation to discriminate/be non-accepting of the LGBT community. (unless you're chick fil-a)

Money drives everything in corporations. It is a bigger driver than any will to win from an athlete. Just look at the huge drops in production after contract years. Why would Mario Williams choose my Buffalo Bills? because we are winners? More likely because we gave him 100mil.

Last edited by krz : 02-20-2013 at 10:35 AM.
krz is offline   Reply With Quote