View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #28
NLBwell
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbarrow View Post
I tried Schmke's computer model score and found the report very interesting. A few matches that I lost bumped me higher than some of the matches I won handily because of the other players rating. It made me realize how important every game is to the "system" and actually inspired me to play tougher against some opponents. For the price of a grip or two it's worth doing just for fun and he's a nice guy to boot.
Yes, I think that is a flaw in the system. There isn't enough weight given to wins and losses. A 4.5 guy with a big serve and not a terrific return game may beat another 4.5 guy in a tiebreaker. He may beat a similar 4.0 guy 6-4, which would dramatically lower his level. He may lose to a 5.0 guy 4-6, which would dramatically raise his level.
If he is rated a 4.0, he would never be bumped up even if he wins all his matches and if he is rated a 5.0 he would not be bumped down even if he loses them all.
A 4.5 level consistent grinder at the same level as the above example may beat the other 4.5 guy in a tiebreaker, but beat the 4.0 guy 6-0, 6-1 and lose to the 5.0 guy 0-6, 1-6. He would quickly be rated properly at the 4.5 level by the computer.
NLBwell is offline   Reply With Quote