View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #34
omega4
Rookie

Thanks for sharing your take on ATLA. It'll be 4 more years before I can join the senior league but I think it's nicer attitude overall is exactly what I'm looking for.

What I'm not looking for are the gung-ho types you described. I think it's in especially poor taste for players to cheer their opponent's errors but I don't mind when players get excited about their own good shots, as I'm quick to applaud and acknowledge my opponent's good shots as well.

It's good to know that there are many other gracious, considerate players in the adult (18+) division and I look forward to meeting them and playing with them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisCJC View Post
In general, ALTA is fine 98% of the time. Of course, everyone spends 98% of their time talking about the 2% when ALTA is not fine.

It is like any other league. It is competitive and it becomes more competitive the higher you go in general. Most of the people are very nice, play fair and make good calls. But, there's always one in every bunch that makes bad calls and/or is a weiner.

Senior (over 45) leagues really do have a nicer attitude all in all but I also played an adult mixed match (18+) last weekend and the opposing team was extremely nice - good tennis, opponents had good attitude, and it was a fun match.

I have played people that were so nice that I actually thought they were trying to put me off my game by being so courteous. On the other hand, I played a guy a few years ago that would yell at the top of his lungs at least 2 to 3 times a game after his team won a point. Sometimes on our errors instead of their winners. The guy was like Jimmy Connors in a night match at the USOpen - I half expected him to start foaming at the mouth he was so crazed with blood lust. But, as I said 98% of the people are good folks, but you will run into a few weiners.
omega4 is offline   Reply With Quote