View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #35
Brian11785
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
I would say he did not necessarily get better just because his win loss record improved as it matters a great deal WHO he played. If you let me cherry pick my opponents, I am positive I could pick out a large number of local players who are computer rated at my level who could not take a set off me in ten tries. Conversely, there are a number of players at my level who I am probably even money or worse against, so we'd each likely win about five of those ten tries.

My point is that depending on their mix of opponents, someone could easily not get better but still dramatically improve their win/loss record against players of a particular rating level.
I'll say again that I understand Ultimate's rationale in not bumping me up and am beginning to look forward to the challenge. I am not claiming that the ratings system is flawed or that my ego is damaged by having to play what I consider most likely down (regardless of how inflammatory my thread title was.) I just felt kind of bummed about having to play a bunch of matches that (aside from hopefully one or two) probably won't be very close and the potential of people getting ****y. Again, it isn't an ego thing.....I mean, it'd be pretty silly to come here bragging about how I'm really a 3.5 (you know.....the upper echelons of the game.) and above the peons at 3.0.

But I did beat a guy 7-6, 6-3 in the fall 3.5 league that had beaten me two months earlier 6-2, 6-1.

Edit: I got an email from one of the guys I've played with a bunch in flex leagues and hit with outside of them that he made and was denied the same request. I have never lost to him, but it is always close. So at least I know he'll be in there.

Last edited by Brian11785 : 02-21-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Brian11785 is offline   Reply With Quote