Thread: Weird stringer
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #34
zapvor
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diredesire View Post
Now to make a few comments on the other posts:

Above is an absolute moot point (besides the fact that you were responding to another guy). You can sell services on top of the stringing. Bumper guard replacement (and labor) is NOT free. But you know what? From a management perspective, if you offer bumper replacement services, you NEED to deal with the overhead of stocking bumpers! This is NON trivial, especially since the ONLY person that benefits from this is YOU, the stringer. Unless the shop is taking a straight up percentage of your pay, that is. However, the few dollars they receive from that "upsell" is really not much compared to how much capital they have to invest in order to maintain bumper stock...

Yep. The above is pretty much right on. If you dont' have a store policy, you need one. Management should understand that unless they're incompetent.

GET THOSE TOOLS. I love the micro pliers, and the cutters are OK for what they are, but they're NOT precision machined. The blades don't line up particularly well, so they sort of smash-cut strings, so it can leave little excess-material "bumps" on ends of strings. This is incredibly hard to describe, and most people wont' notice it, but you'll notice when those bumps are on poly... they'll start biting into your fingers (huge aside). The micro pliers are excellent for guiding string past blocked holes. I don't think pliers should really be used to be pulling strings for knots -- I use starting clamps, parallel jaw pliers, or CAM action pliers. I'm 100% OK with having purpose specific tools for these actions, as they do a better job with less string damage.

Really, though, the "too long, didn't read" version of the above:
TL;DR: Work on your professionalism, understand that you are practicing a craft, and take this as seriously as you want to be taken by others. Buy tubing if it's going to cause too many waves for yourself. Buy tools if it's a pain in the butt to get GOOD ones. If you want to deal with the guy, make sure you make it easy to deal with YOU. Enforce/remind/install policies if applicable.
bumperguards-yea i understand the issue. this was mostly just what the other stringer said. in terms of the business, i have been telling members to buy their own and i will install it for them.

so the thing is, the place is very 'friendly'. this is not your typical shop where you have refund policies, etc etc liek you pointed out. the pro shop is just an extension of the facility. so even though i am super serious about my job, i am on the very bottom and everything else comes before me really. just to give you perspective there is over 10 teaching pros here so its pretty big operation. so how do i approach them to create a store policy???

yea i am getting my own tools.

finally about the guy: i have been nice to everyone. but hes the one that likes to me tell me what to do, etc. in fact in our conversations he oftens says 'oh this is between you and me only' one time he tells me on the phone 'oh [your boss] wanted me to tell you X" and when i said "oh i will talk to [boss] about it' he immediately said "oh no no dont do that". so stuff like that. my guess is he has an ego issue. by the way i have never told the stringer what to do. its been a one way of him telling me what to do, when to do it. he would text me with stuff like "CALL me NOW"
but anyways enough about the stringer. its stupid. i dont need to go on about this on the internet.

what i need to focus on is talking to management and making the shop better so i can do my job better

again, appreciate your post dd

Last edited by zapvor : 02-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
zapvor is offline   Reply With Quote