View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #47
OrangePower
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
If someone has 6 grueling 3 set matches that they win then they are at the right level because every match is competitive. For me the time someone should be moving up is when they are starting to have non-competitive matches at the level where they are at. You have 4 grueling 3 setters and also win a couple other matches 6-2 6-2 then the system does move you up which I think is completely fair.

People here act like its a virtue to want to play better players but ignore people in the higher league who also want to play better players. Once you let people play against higher level players just because they wish they could have that challenge then the system becomes worse for everyone else. Go out and show you don't belong at that level. If you aren't getting any straight set victories at your current level you obviously have a lot you can still learn there.
Completely agree with everything you said.

Question is what to do with players who have legitimate reason to believe that they are significantly better than where the league thinks they belong, and how to determine what is their true competitive level.

As an extreme example, if a player recently out of DI tennis wants to play, we're obviously not going to ask them to 'prove' their level by starting them out at a low level. Instead, we would take their tennis history into account. Likewise, the OP has a history at a higher level (3.5), so it seems that should be taken into consideration.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Ultimate or other leagues outside of USTA, so I'm assuming levels between leagues are roughly equal.
OrangePower is offline   Reply With Quote