View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #39
Fuji
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
Yes, I'd go with that...

Yes and no; even though your strike height is maybe 8-9 ft high, the ball loses speed in flight and more energy/speed on the bounce. So absent any spin, it will only bounce say 4 or 4.5 ft high (guestimate), depending on how hard you can hit it (e.g. a flat serve at 90mph). So you need to generate maybe 2 ft more with spin, and that's assuming a 90mph 2nd, which most rec players are not going to be hitting.

Bottom line is I don't come across many players at 4.5 level and below who can get a 6 ft or higher bounce period on 2nd serve, let alone have it be a consistent serve that they can hit at will under pressure.

Like I said, maybe it's just that I'm playing with the wrong crowd.
Haha, I'm sure it has nothing to do with your crowd. 4.5 is still just rec tennis after all. It all comes down to practising your second serve, I pretty much solely practice my kicks and twist these days, so it's what gets better, right? I definitely want to get some serve videos up soon!

I don't think speed really is a factor though, it's just how much forward motion you are putting into your kick, vs how much spin you are putting on. To get a really high kick, it's hitting more up into the ball, rather then forward into the ball. Obviously if you are doing a "power" kick and hitting a ton through the ball, the bounce won't be as hight, but it will be a heavier serve that can be used in really any situation, which is what I assume Powerplayer and yourself are doing. Great serve to use, but if you are just looking to maximize bounce, it's not ideal.

-Fuji