View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #36
J_R_B
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmke View Post
Not so strange when you look at the details.

First, he only played 2 adult matches so those aren't used and he get a mixed exclusive rating from the 4 mixed matches. And yes, he lost all 4, but they were all close, including 2 where he won a set and was even or just -1 on game differential.

But the kicker is that he was playing 8.0 mixed as a 4.0 with a 3.5 partner. Given this, and especially if the partner wasn't a strong 3.5, they were likely supposed to lose these 8.0 matches, probably by more than they did. So their very competitive results against likely stronger opponents indicated he was playing better than his rating and he got bumped.
I understand how the math actually works, but it's still a flaw when the formula bumps you for losing every match. One of the adult losses is to me. The guy is an average 4.0 who drew a couple short straws in adult play (I was 14-2 at 4.0 and the other guy is actually a 4.5 player who was sandbagging last year). He could easily compete in 4.0, but the system has just pretty much excluded him from playing adult again (unless they grant an appeal since he would have to self-rate again with an M-rating for adult).
J_R_B is offline   Reply With Quote