View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #92
charliefedererer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Player View Post
I used pickle juice and I also bring mustard packs to the courts.

The Mustard packs I would use if I felt a cramp coming on.

I have not had to use pickel juice or mustard in a long time (thankfully).

Another thing I do is drink chicken broth. Not all the time. Maybe once a week. But it basically tastes like chicken soup and helps keep me hydrated.
Thanks for your update.

There is another currently running thread Is Cramping Genetic http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=454316 that has brought to light that there is a subgroup of athletes who are "salty sweaters".

While that designation may sound disgusting, at least among Florida State football players, 10-15% seem to have a much higher amount of sodium in their sweat and need more sodium replacement.

Interestingly, their first line of prevention in these "salty sweaters" is to increase their use of salt in thier diet - just as you are using chicken broth.

So maybe there are three novel strategies to use for those who cramp to consider:
1. pickle juice to stop the acute cramp
2. pickle juice to prevent cramps
3. more sodium to prevent cramps

After reading the below description, do you think you are a "salty sweater"?

"IDENTIFYING SALTY SWEATERS
How do you know if an athlete is a salty sweater? The most scientific test is to use absorbent patches to collect sweat and employ specialized analyses to determine exact electrolyte losses. This is the method used by researchers. However, for athletic departments, this isn’t very practical. Fortunately, simpler methods are available.

At Florida State, we start by using our pre-participation physical exam. Since salty sweaters appear to get muscle cramps more easily, we use our questionnaire to identify athletes with a history of cramping. We also ask our athletes if they have noticed more salt loss themselves. Two simple questions can be sufficient to help identify athletes potentially at risk:

How often have you experienced muscle cramps during practice or games?
• Never
• Sometimes
• Frequently

When you sweat, does your sweat often sting your eyes or taste salty?
• Tastes Salty
• Stings Eyes
• Neither

Visual assessment can also be helpful. We’re careful to check for salt stains on practice clothing and salt on athletes’ skin during practices. Lastly, we keep records of athletes who experience muscle cramps during practices and contests and note how often they get them. Players who commonly succumb to muscle cramps, especially during two-a-day workouts or intense competitions, are flagged as salty sweaters."
- http://www.training-conditioning.com...eir_sweat.html
charliefedererer is offline   Reply With Quote