View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #49
corners
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
This got me inspired.
I just did an experiment with a Pure Storm Ltd.
I put two weights of 45 grams at the sides of the head and moved both up and down until I was satisfied with a constant launchangle when the tennisballs were hit across the face from 3 to 9. The most ideal spot seemed to be at 4 and 8. I know I varied not only twistweight but also swingweight and balance, but during play I also varied grip position up and down regardless of the present swingweight and balance.
The interesting part is that I tried to hit with constant rackethead speed and all over the racketface from 3 to 9 and with the weights attached at 4 and 8, the launchangle, speed and depth were pretty constant, which makes me believe that the spinrate also had to be pretty much the same. Whether a 425 grams racket is really playable is another question

Really looking forward to your experience, Corners.
Awesome John. What did you use for an easily movable 45g lump?

I wonder if you found 4&8 to equalize spin the most because of the headshape of the PSL, which kind of has a Volkl headshape, wider at 4&8 than most other frames. The only negative with mass at 4&8 is that it will tend to make the frame more powerful in the lower hoop, where it is already most powerful in stock form. I have always favored mass at 10&2 or higher as this will tend to equalize the power gradient of the frame and provide more pop on serve (which I tend to hit nearer the tip), in particular. But the positive of 4&8 is that it will raise the swingweight by a lesser amount that at 3&9 or higher.

It might take me awhile to get my experiment going as I'm taking my time in choosing the right platform frame, of which I'd like to get two so that I can make on-court comparisons. But thanks for the encouragement.
corners is offline   Reply With Quote