View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #42
tennis_balla
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
The parents job is to Parent. The coaches job is to coach. Never the two shall mix (at least in my opinion)

Cheers
My dad was my main coach so I have a bit of a different point of view on this. I also knew a lot of other juniors playing at my time who had it the same. It can work out really well or go terribly wrong. Most of the time it doesn't work out well, but sometimes it does. I had a positive experience. My dad would coach me whenever I wasn't taking lessons, finances played a role in this as it does with a lot of families which is why a lot of parents opt to coach their kids.

I noticed in Canada back when I was a junior a lot of the kids parents were also coaching them in some form or another. A fair number of the top kids had their dad be fairly involved, in a positive way and it worked out well.

Its a really touchy subject and I understand your opinion and its definitely the safe route to go especially if the parents can afford a lot of lessons and pay for a full time coach. Sadly though it's not always the case.