Thread: Weird stringer
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #68
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapvor View Post
its tough to talk to him. every conversation with him is him telling me what to do, when to do it, and whenever i even suggest something, etc he immediately shoots me down. he acts like his is the final say. if you like maybe i can post some texts he sent me. too bad i cant post phone conversations. i dont think you quite get the whole picture of how this guy works. i have tried listening to him, agreeing to what hes said even though it doesnt make sense. and he just keeps going on his highway. no stop signs or anything. i should give you his number.

as for getting him on board. i dont know how to go about doing this. he tells me we need to sit down and talk, then avoids me. wtf??? and when i do talk to him he refuses to listen at all, and just basically says "no we are doing it my way. thats it. done". literraly. thats what he says.

so yea back to my question. how do i approach mangaement to implement policy/ services to benefit members. i dont think he wants any part of that. his words and actions show as much. think about it. if he really cared, i wouldnt be making this thread.

i know i am not always right. this was all because i wanted to help out the members. the fact that i am unable to do something so simple as buying some tubing i think reveals his character.
It's obvious I don't have the entire story, which is why I'm pointing out the other side of the coin. I said from the very beginning that I'm taking a devil's advocate role -- chill out, man. We're on the same side, here. If he is 100% unwilling to listen, and your life is only going to get harder, the only option is to go over his head to management. However, I STILL recommend taking the high road unless there is no other option. It sounds like this is the case, but I won't make that judgment call for you. If you do go over his head, you have to be willing to lose your job and/or quit, because if he is not let go, AND/OR you are not let go, your life is going to get much, much worse. I already detailed how to approach management, so I'm not going to spoon feed that one to you. Take the post above and run with it, come back with a proposal draft, and we'll ruthlessly pick it apart so you're prepared for when you do approach management. It's just tough love for a stringing bro

Quote:
are you serious??? i understand the intern thing, but this is not an internship, and as far as management have made it clear we are on the same level. i am not lower than him. i dont like you pointing out his actions being ok because hes been there longer. so i guess those GM guys that went bankrupt was ok because they been doing the same thing for 100yrs. seniority is a huge obstacle to progress if you ask me. i am all about real contributions, not seniority. i thought you would be on the same side on this. interesting.....

and beside that, it makes no sense. say a customer needed a gut job same day. by your logic hes going to tell them "oh me and zapvor discussed it and hes the only person that strings gut, so come back tomorrow"

is this what you want to hear at the doctor/dentist/auto shop/ tennis warehouse??? "oh i am not in this dept, not my problem. come back when josh is back from vacation he can help you"

edit-ok my post sounds very harsh. i dont mean it to sound that way. up to now you have been really helpful so your post here kind of threw me off with the logic
I'm very serious. If this is the hardest issue you've had to deal with in your work experience, you've got it easy, buddy. The fact still stands that even from a "pay grade" and/or work hierarchy, you may be at the same level, but he's obviously not seeing eye to eye with you. If you got an "org chart" (family tree of who is the boss of whom) and you saw that you were on the same level as him on the chart -- is your situation resolved? I think the answer is obviously no. Don't get melodramatic and relate my advice to GM -- I'm telling you that in real life, it's not unusual for a young guy or the new guy to get the shaft, that's all. IF it WAS determined that you're the only guy that strings gut, he is within his rights if it is a store policy to reject a customer and/or tell them they have to wait. He's a bit of a d-bag for doing so, but he has that leisure if that WAS a store policy. I didn't say it makes sense. I didn't say it was right, but policy works both ways. This is why you need to implement policies that make sense. Don't take my posts out of context. And yes, in the real world, you very VERY often get rejected because it is not someone's job to do what you're asking. If you went to an auto shop and you talked to the parts department, would you get mad if the guy at the counter wasn't willing to work on your transmission? I think you have to review your own logic there before criticizing mine

Quote:
bottom line-he only cares about him, not the members. i am trying to help the members. how do i get management to help me accomplish this. thats all.
Go through the exercise I outlined above. That's the real start. I would post drafts here and have them torn to shreds until it's right -- then go for it. If you're serious about fixing things, know that it's not a week long project, this may take years to get right. You have to be willing to flip the shop on its head and deal with the risks involved. This is as much a business decision as a quality decision, and I urge you to exercise caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers4Life View Post
If clients are starting to ask for you to string thier rackets, then let him (other stringer) dig his own grave. Eventaully his lazyness will catch up with him, and unsatisfied clients will talk to the management.
Yes, this is 100% true -- but this does not resolve the dynamics within the shop. If the other guy gets fired, zap has free reign. Zap can let his work speak for himself (stringer's perspective), but again, there is liability (albeit small).

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote