Thread: Weird stringer
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #69
diredesire
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to diredesire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapvor View Post
"If it's simply a risk/pain in the butt for him to work with gut due to the delicate nature, he might just prefer to let you deal with the liability, especially if you're on the hook for a ruined set"

this especially jumped out at me. let me go to your boss DD and tell him to let you deal with all the tough parts of your job, so when you screw up its on you. not me. perfect for me! bad for you!
Edit: I am trying to explain some reasoning here, I didn't say it was right. If you must know, though:

If that's what it takes to keep my job, I'm willing to do the work that no one else wants to do. At least until I can prove that I can handle the responsibilities of someone at a higher pay grade than me (read as: I'll take the long hours and tedious work that I feel may be below my 'intelligence level' or 'pay grade' or 'education.' I don't have a sense of entitlement simply because I got hired. I'll bust my butt if that's what's needed of me. There's a breaking point, though, and I'm not afraid to move on and/or market myself). In any event, gut is some of the easier stuff you're going to string anyways. I'll be happy to take all your gut jobs, you can take my dense polys, deal?

I'd put a calendar reminder 5-10 years down the road to come back and read this thread, you'll probably grin at your own posts I'm not even trying to be condescending. Truly, people have to deal with some crappy situations in life, and while I truly feel for you and would like as much as possible to help you fix your situation, you're actually in a good spot to grow from this experience. I am confident when all this is said and done with, you'll appreciate what you had to go through. Again, I'd cool it on the melodramatics and understand that I'm trying to give you the bigger picture view than just what a stringer has to deal with. Like I said, from a straight-up stringer's standpoint... this is an open and shut case of 'who is right'.

Quote:
you just strung at a tournment yourself. lets say i was the other stringer working with you. what would you think if i said "Hey DD so every gut job that comes in, i am going to leave to you. so if it snaps, its your liability, not mine. got it?" then i leave you with them, even if the gut jobs are in que to be done first, and i go do whichever rackets i want to do.
I'd say "That's fine, you can take the 18x20 tour bites. We already have terms in place, because I set them up front." Every order form that gets rubber banded to a handle has the provision that we guarantee labor, but no customer strings. There's no way of knowing what conditions a set came in, so if it breaks on the machine, that's your problem, not mine. This is pretty common, I'd even venture to say standard. I've got a policy to fall back on, so feel free to find cracks in my castle walls, I encourage it .

Quote:
yea. this is fine. i dont care about him now. my question is how can i get management to help me out, so i can thus help out the members. if i had an extra $500 lying around id just go buy all teh tools/materials myself, but i am poor
Yep, you can, go through the business proposal 101 post. By this point it's very clear (from what you tell us, at least) that the other stringer is unwilling to work with you. If YOU feel it's the last resort, go over his head. Just prepare for some retaliation and/or finger pointing. If you have a bulletproof case, you have nothing to worry about. If you find yourself in a "his word vs. mine" situation, you didn't prepare correctly. This is a politics discussion as much as it is quality, and that sucks.

Quote:
yea my first day i was confused. they are his tools. so thats fine. it just kind of shows how the place works becayse they had no idea. they did spend money to buy me new tools. the only thing was they gave the money to the stringer to buy, and he got these huge massive ones. so i ended up giving them to maintenance, since its company money afterall.

i bought my own tools finally. i do need a awl and clamp still. sigh. yea my pliers were $10
It was actually a mistake to give the tools away, but I'm not going to belabor the little things. I'm just going to give the benefit of the doubt in this situation, and say that you probably handled this as well as you could, GIVEN the fact that he's an a-hole. Proper procedure would be: "Can I get the receipt for these tools? I actually was hoping for something closer to yours. I can go pick them up, don't go out of your way just for my sake." Again, this is a 'little thing,' and it's only easy to say this stuff after the fact.

Mod Qs/Concerns/etc? E-mail me! (please make return/profile e-mail is valid!)

Last edited by diredesire : 02-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
diredesire is offline   Reply With Quote