View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #57
Mustard
Talk Tennis Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW_BORN View Post
When you start with the name calling, it just makes you look like a GOOSEHEAD, wait a second...hey that's you

Anyway, in all seriousness everything i said in my first post is what i consider to be the most important character of a champion - recovering from setbacks.

In Borg's case, he just couldn't find it in himself to keep fighting, regardless of whatever motivational reasons he had for quitting, all because he could no longer beat one guy. There's no sugarcoating the fact that he GAVE UP, unlike other champions of the past and present
You believe a legendary myth, I'm afraid. Borg didn't annouce his retirement from full-time tennis competition until January 1983. By then, McEnroe was about to lose to Lendl for the 7th time in a row, and wasn't a champion at any of the majors.

Borg didn't play in 1982, apart from Monte Carlo and exhibitions, because he was involved in a dispute with the ITF over how many tournaments he would have to play. The ITF threatened to force Borg to qualify for the majors if he didn't play the required number of tournaments, so Borg didn't bother. It was expected that Borg would return to full-time competition for 1983, but then he made his retirement announcement in January 1983 during the Masters tournament.
Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote