View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:53 PM   #52
Ash_Smith
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
What do you say to kids when you are feeding them balls? [This is an honest question as I respect your abilities.]
That's not really an answerable question as it is entirely situation and athlete dependant, however as a general rule I don't use the positive-negative (e.g "Don't do it like that, like this" or "Not quite there") and I ask questions way more than I tell - how it felt, how they think it should should it feel, what else do they do that it feels like, how does it sound when they've hit it it "correctly", can they imagine what it would be like to hit it perfectly and how close are they on a scale of 1 to 10 to that image etc etc

It's a much more powerful way of giving feedback than simply saying "good", "well done" "ok" "no" etc - sadly I see too many coaches just saying words with no reason - even when the shot was nothing like they were trying to teach, they still give it "good", "yep" etc. Those are the coaches Balla talks about above - just going through the motions

Cheers