View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #59
NLBwell
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
That's not really an answerable question as it is entirely situation and athlete dependent, however as a general rule I don't use the positive-negative (e.g "Don't do it like that, like this" or "Not quite there") and I ask questions way more than I tell - how it felt, how they think it should should it feel, what else do they do that it feels like, how does it sound when they've hit it it "correctly", can they imagine what it would be like to hit it perfectly and how close are they on a scale of 1 to 10 to that image etc etc

It's a much more powerful way of giving feedback than simply saying "good", "well done" "ok" "no" etc - sadly I see too many coaches just saying words with no reason - even when the shot was nothing like they were trying to teach, they still give it "good", "yep" etc. Those are the coaches Balla talks about above - just going through the motions

Cheers
Thanks Ash. Yes, I think it is good to do that and elicit thought about the stroke in the players mind and give them a mechanism for self-feedback. Still not sure how you implement it when you are feeding balls one after another trying to groove a stroke. If you question and explain after every single hit, there won't be many balls hit in the lesson.

When feeding balls, I'll usually have already described the players typical problems and what the adjustment should be, so I just say cues like head still, footwork, takeback, sounds good, that's right, rotate more, etc. Depending on their level, if they implement the adjustment we are working on, I might say "good job" even if something else in the stroke causes the ball to hit the back fence (then work on that part next).
NLBwell is offline   Reply With Quote