View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 01:39 PM   #60
Ash_Smith
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
Thanks Ash. Yes, I think it is good to do that and elicit thought about the stroke in the players mind and give them a mechanism for self-feedback. Still not sure how you implement it when you are feeding balls one after another trying to groove a stroke. If you question and explain after every single hit, there won't be many balls hit in the lesson.

When feeding balls, I'll usually have already described the players typical problems and what the adjustment should be, so I just say cues like head still, footwork, takeback, sounds good, that's right, rotate more, etc. Depending on their level, if they implement the adjustment we are working on, I might say "good job" even if something else in the stroke causes the ball to hit the back fence (then work on that part next).
Doesn't have to be after every shot, could be after a group of shots or after a set time limit. Obviously if the player has just nailed it exactly as it "should" be, then a positive reinforcement will help anchor the feeling with the player - but I always link it with a feeling rather than just pure words. I believe nothing should be said that doesn't have a purpose (not always easy!!!)

Essentially, I am always looking for a situation where the athlete talks more than the coach! I think that's probably the opposite of a coach like RL, who will pretty much always talk more than the athlete (hypothesising based on what I have seen admittedly), regardless of the particular learning style or whims of the athlete in question.

Cheers