Thread: Bench Press
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #295
Itagaki
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabala View Post
Thoughts on my bench routine from you benching pros ...

So when I bench, I'll do a warm up, 3 sets of the same weight and a cool down. Strech and rest a few mins between reps.

Warm up/cool down is always at least 10 reps of 145lbs,(can get to 20 or 30 reps). I'll start at a weight of say, 185lbs and I'll do 3 sets of 5 to start but maybe I'll get 3 or 4 reps the last 2 sets.

I stay with that 185lbs and after 2 or 3 months I will be doing 3 sets of 10 reps. Once I can do 3 sets of 10 (with no spot), I go up in weight 20lbs to 205lbs. Now I start back with 3 sets of 5 again and stay with it, again, until I can do 3 sets of 10. Again I'll move up 20lbs to 225lbs and the reps drop back down again.

This process will repeat depending on how much I hit the gym but the most I ever got up to was 3 sets of 5 at 275 and a single max of 300, (shoulda just tried 3 plates!)

I am 5' 9" - was about 170 or 175 at strongest (some years ago). Right now I'm like 155lbs and not working out though
If it works for you then stick with it. Personally i'd say this is too slow in terms of progression and I think you're overcomplicating it with so many factors. (moving from 3x5 to 3x10 without any description of how you get there is what gets me)

A plan i've seen that is similar and perhaps a bit faster would go like this.

Starting Point 185lbs 3x5

Do two sets of 5 and on the last set go for reps. If you get at least 8, the next time you bench press do 190lbs in the same way (2x5, 1xF). This is a more strength oriented approach though.

In this way, if all goes well then you get to the next block of your method (205lbs 3x5) in about 4 bench press sessions as opposed to months.

Once again though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it
Itagaki is offline   Reply With Quote