Thread: The Donald
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #967
Tcbtennis
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLBwell View Post
Acting negatively in the moment doesn't necessarily mean you won't win. The difference is whether you carry it with you.

It's one thing to yell out if you double fault. It's another to let it carry on and affect you for much of the match.
I absolutely agree with you. You have to have a short memory in tennis. Right after DY plays that poor first game where he was upset about a double fault call he walks on the changeover right to the area on the court where his double fault was called and has words with the chair umpire about it. I was surprised. 2 or 3 points were played after that double fault call and the score was 0-1 in the first set (not 5-5 in the 3rd set) and he played poorly in that game but he was still thinking about that call.

Murray is a perfect example of a player who complains about everything (not much anymore now that he has Lendl in his players' box) and can have poor body language. But he is #3 in the world so obviously it doesn't negatively affect him. DY is struggling and he needs to fix his mind.

DY has been playing professionally since he was 14 years old. So not letting bad calls affect him is not a new concept to him. I have 2 kids that play junior competitive tennis and I am constantly trying to get 1 of them to not let her emotions get the better of her during matches. It doesn't help her performance at all. DY desperately needs a new team around him starting with saying good bye to his mother as his coach. After all these years there is no way he can listen to his mother (or father) and really truly and wholly embrace their coaching especially since the results have been so poor. Someone once told me (in regards to my kids) that in order for them to improve in tennis they needed a coach that they would be willing to run through a brick wall for. Murray has that with Lendl. I doubt DY has that with Mom.
Tcbtennis is offline   Reply With Quote