View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #125
WildVolley
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLambsheadrep View Post
Been looking over the discussion, very good job guys! I did, though, find a video on the subject on virtualtennisacademy.com called Backhand Stretch Reflex. Sign up for the website and check it out
If I get the time, I'll do this.

The main benefit I've gotten from this thread is a better understanding of Djokovic's bh form.

I personally have been experimenting with a little more arm-bend and loop into the backswing, and therefore more elbow extension into the hitting position, but I'm uncertain as to whether it is worth the trouble or gives significant gain. The players who I've been watching as models (Djokovic, Nadal, Gulbis, Safin) all have a lot of similarities including a c-takeback and only slight elbow extension of the top-hand into the shot. Interestingly enough, we can say that all these players hit with the top arm essentially straight at contact. I don't pay as much attention to the lower hand arm, as I don't believe it is dominant with any of these players.

So the straight-arm form, rather than the double-bend, is the preferred technique of the majority of the great 2hbh-players in the men's game today, and something I believe is to be preferred over the bent arm type shot that Ferrer hits. My operating assumption is that the straight-arm allows more easy racket head speed.
WildVolley is offline   Reply With Quote