Thread: Bench Press
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #302
Itagaki
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabala View Post
Basically, over time as I get stronger, I'm able to do more reps per set. It sorta evolved from high school when I worked out with the football team after school. They did a warm up, 5 sets of 5 on bench - increasing weight each set - and a cool down. So when I got outta high school and joined a gym, my 5 sets started to include warm up and cool down with 3 sets of doing same weight.
Well that's what gets me... It sorta reads like this

Start here
?????
Progress happens

It's just not measurable enough for me. There are programs that run similar to the idea (of adding reps over time), most notably some Hepburn programs. But this one progresses methodically.

I think it's something like 4 days a week, you do the same exercise and weight each day. Each week you add a rep to one of the days. So week one might go like this

Squat 300lbs
2, 2, 2, 2

Week 2
3, 2, 2, 2

Week 3
3, 3, 2, 2

Week 4
3, 3, 3, 2

Week 5
3, 3, 3, 3

Add weight and restart.

It's something akin to that anyway. How long does it take you to go from 3x5 to 3x10 and with how many sessions a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehandbh View Post
How do you determine what weight to start at for the three sets of 5 (last one
to F).

Seeing if I understand this method: so you only increase weight if you get
8 reps on the last set? (e.g. 185x5, 185x5, 185x

How often would you do benches?

Any advice on an overall, whole body routine that is 2 or 3x per week in
the gym.
The determining of the start set would depend on your level of experience. For a rank beginner, probably the SS method. Do a set of 5, add weight, do a set, add weight etc until the bar speed begins to slow down. Then at that point do two more sets of 5 and that's the first day

Otherwise I'd just pick a weight you can comfortably do 3x5 with. Doesn't have to be ambitious as the set to failure helps take care of how light it is.

It would probably be in the context of a full body routine three days/week. Bench press itself would be 1-2 times per week. Ideally alternating with overhead press. (i.e. Bench, OHP, Bench, OHP, Bench, OHP is the first two weeks)
Itagaki is offline   Reply With Quote