View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Andres
G.O.A.T.

Send a message via AIM to Andres Send a message via MSN to Andres

Lemme pitch in as a sound engineer who has done several acoustic work in the past. English is not my first language so forgive any grammar/vocabulary issues.
Three things that you should pay special attention if you need to treat a room. If you're able to BUILD the room, that's better.

Absortion, Isolation and diffusion. Absortion and diffusion is what you need inside the room. Isolation is what you need to avoid noise getting out of the room or getting in.
As an orchestral arranger, I'm very familiar with Timpani, and in frequency and loudness terms, taiko drums are not that far off.

Bobby and cholly both have very good points, although other measurements must be considered.
First, Taiko has a very strong low end component. Low end is the trickiest freq. band to control, as the wavelenghts of each hit could very well be 2-3 meters long.
To make things worse, low end is the most common enemy of any room, as any standing wave you may have will most likely be below 200 hz. Standing waves in a room with 7 taiko drummers would be pretty much my definition of hell.

(I'll continue in my next post)

Last edited by Andres : 02-27-2013 at 02:05 PM. Reason: standing waves, no stationary waves. Damn english
Andres is offline   Reply With Quote