Thread: The Donald
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #971
t135
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcbtennis View Post
It's definitely a difficult situation. There is no one out there who would have his back more than his mother. After all the trials and tribulations especially with the USTA the Youngs probably have an "us against the world" attitude. I don't think that Donald would fire his mother. It would be up to her to make that move, I think. As a tennis mom I can tell you that you live and die with every match your kids play. There are no fans or cheerleaders as there are in team sports. You are it. You comfort your child who is crying and crushed after a tough loss. You are the one celebrating, giving high fives after a great and hard fought win. I've seen high level junior match where a kid loses a tough match and tells his mother to "leave him the hell alone" and she does. In my opinion that's what a parent should do especially when the results have been poor. Donald needs a coach to tell him to "shut the hell up" when he starts to whine. Someone he respects and will listen to. I bet that is what Lendl told Murray. I used to hate Murray for his whiny, mopey demeanor. When Lendl is in Murray's box, you don't see that behavior. Murray can focus on his game and on the new aggressive style they have worked on together instead of moping about a call that he didn't like.

As you wrote, Sharapova replaced her dad as coach. So did Serena and Radwanska. We are all still waiting for Wozniacki to do the same. I'm hoping that Donald will also. After watching him play live, I know that he needs to change something. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
Pretty good stuff. Big difference between all those players you used as an example and Young. But you're right about his mother needing to lead the way.

All those players however had achieved consistently outstanding results on tour. Young struggles year in and year out with little to show for the effort. Should have listened to the USTA's advice years ago. They tried to help.

Seems that the Young's have decided to show the world something, stick together no matter what happens. Hey if they're happy what can you say?
t135 is offline   Reply With Quote