View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 03:58 AM   #34
Chas Tennis
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posture Guy View Post
I have a different prespective. It's not that doing exercises is risky. Doing the wrong exercises is risky. That said, I'll bet that the person in question here got ample feedback from his body that the exercises he was doing were not constructive, and he most likely ignored that feedback thinking "well, the doctor told me to do it." Always trust your instincts. If something feels destructive instead of constructive, it probably is.

Working with people with bulging or herniated discs is the most common thing we do in our clinic and it's one of the easier things we deal with in terms of helping the client get symptom relief. The body NEEDS motion, but it needs complementary motion. Take the advice of doing McKenzie stuff above. It's mostly extension based. Well, if you have someone who has a bulging disc because their spine lacks extension, they might happen to do very well with that protocol. If they have a bulging disc because their spine has too much extension, that protocol will likely send them to the surgical table in screaming pain.

Where is the body out of balance, and what does it need to come back to balance? That's the question.

Bulging discs are not a big deal if you deal with them intelligently and listen to your body as you do so.
Those are good points after a firm diagnosis.

In my reply to heycal - asking for back exercises apparently without a diagnosis - I was pointing out the need for a Dr and imaging in a diagnosis. For example, if the bone itself of the vertebra is starting to deteriorate or is deteriorated how could that be known without imaging? I believe that a firm diagnosis for the back and other joints requires imaging such as MRI. I'm not sure what imaging technology was available at the time that my friend had his back injury or condition. He probably got an X ray.(?) Perhaps the other imaging of the spine available at that time was very invasive (?) so that imaging had considerable risk. ? My friend did complain to the Dr of the pain he experienced when doing the corrective exercises. As soon as he got the imaging the treatment changed.

Last edited by Chas Tennis : 02-28-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Chas Tennis is online now   Reply With Quote