View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #1
spot
Hall Of Fame

Default Playoff strategy "tournament"?

So there has been some discussion in another thread of how much it makes sense to balance lineups vs concentrating firepower so I thought it might be fun for people to test out their theories a bit. This could fall flat or it could be interesting- we might as well try.

Lets set up a tournament bracket on the board where the rules are simple. We will have people sign up and create a bracket. There will be 5 lines of doubles to make it easy. You will have a roster of 15 players. Your goal every week is to take 3 of the 5 lines. If people are interested in this then and it works out we will try other scenarios. (Teams that are imbalanced, teams where you don't know what availability the other team has, etc)

The way it would work would be that you PM me a "lineup" of your 5 lines with your pairings. Player 15 is your best player, player 1 is your worst player. We will do this USTA style where there are no sandbagging rules.

So as an example you might send me

line 1- 15 + 14 = 29
line 2- 9 + 13 = 22
line 3- 6 + 7 = 13
line 4- 8 + 12 = 20
line 5- 10 + 11 = 21

I will compare you to your opponent and post the winner. Highest point value at any line wins. If there is a tie then I will flip a coin. I think that other tiebreakers would be too controversial... say 10 and 9 face 12 and 7. Personally I'd put my money on 12 and 7 but other people would bet on 10 and 9 so for now we will just do a coinflip.

I will post all the results between rounds so it would be similar to USTA where you can look up results of teams. Then you will send me your next round lineup and we will repeat. In this one teams are exactly even.

Anyway- this very well may be too nerdy and only of interest to me and I can accept that. But if you would like to participate post here and we will see how it goes. I just think it would be interesting to see how different strategies play out across different rounds.

Last edited by spot : 02-28-2013 at 07:21 AM.
spot is offline   Reply With Quote