Thread: Mick Diary
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3391 View Post
Mick has complete freedom, I only introduced him to Tennis and let him know what could possibly be possible if he trains. He wants to play more than I do. When we train I do push him as he wants to learn. I wish my dad taught me, told me I could play USTA tourneys.
From what I've learned of you, you're a conscientious and caring person who probably knows very well when to kick *** and when to be nice. Your son is fortunate, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick3391 View Post
Play you? Here's what would happen when we play;

"Mick serves and Tom starts to retreat, if he keeps this up he’ll be in a ringside seat, Mick hits from the left, hits from the right, Tom is scared and full of fright. Mick hits deep, then makes a lob, if he keeps this up Tom will look like a slob, Mick hits a hard cross court that is oh so cool, until Tom counters to win match point to make Mick look like a fool".
Nice poetic rendering, but I think it would go more like this: Mick and Tom play a most enjoyable match in which there are a few interesting rallies and in which Tom hits a few really nice shots, but Mick's much better movement, and relatively greater consistency of accurate placement and pace, and many fewer unforced errors, prevails. Final score: Mick by 6-1, 6-1, but he was most entertained. Next match: Mick by 6-2, 6-2. Mick is still most entertained. Next match: Mick by 6-3, 6-3. Mick is still entertained, but is beginning to get a bit concerned. And so on. What do you think?

Or, it's quite possible that you're so much better than me that I'd get consistently bageled. Maybe winning an occasional game. Maybe not. But I still think you'd enjoy the matches, because in some, maybe even lots of, games you're going to have to actually play well to win.

Last edited by TomT : 02-28-2013 at 07:20 PM.