View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #49
Towser83
Legend
 
Towser83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 9,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
You do realise that Nadal's outdoor HC record against Federer is 5-2 right? It should've been 6-1 if it wasn't for that massive choke in Miami 2005 where Rafa was up 2 sets and a break in the third.
lol bringing up a Nadal choke in Miami but then later mentioning AO2009 which was a massive choke from Federer in the 3rd set. I like how we can claim back matches because Nadal choked, because Federer choked several matches. Rome 2006, Hamburg 2008, AO 2009, Dubai 2006, even RG 2011. This means adjusting for chokes the H2H is something like 14-14.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
Truth is, Nadal hadn't developed his game well enough to make it to HC slam finals and your argument that Fed "would've" beat Rafa if he did is absolute rubbish. Fed is LUCKY that Rafa wasn't making those HC slam finals because teenage Rafa was beating peak Federer in HC matches.
In best of 3 yes. In best of 5 he lost the only match they played and that was only a master final which Federer did not put so much effort into. If Nadal could have really beat peak Fed on HC in best of 5 there's no reason he shouldn't have hacked down everyone else. True there is some matchup issue but at that time Nadal was not really good enough to beat Fed in a HC slam - he barely managed it at his peak when Federer was past his and mentally beat up vs Nads at the AO2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
Rafa made his first HC slam final at age 22, the same age as Federer, but for some reason you expect Rafa to have been better than Federer at HC majors when age 17-21? LOL.
If you're going to go on about how Nadal was better than Federer on HC at 17 then he is a better player than Federer and thus why wouldn't you expect him to do better than Federer by making HC slams at an earlier age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
Federer played as well as he ever did apart from his serving in the 09AO final and still lost. Federer also was playing very well in 2012 AO and still lost when he met Rafa.
He choked. Next. If it's unfair to expect Nadal at 18-21 to win HC majors why is it fair to expect 3o year old Fed to beat a prime Nadal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
As for "taking away" Rafa's clay wins, why don't you take away Fed's indoor wins?
This is true. Clay counts as much as anything, but clay is the only surface where Nadal owns Fed. Elsewhere they are very even with a slight edge to Federer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
And when Rafa was making HC and grass slam finals in 2010 onwards where was Federer? Rafa made it to WIM2010, USO2010, WIM2011, USO2011 and AO2012 finals. He only played Federer in 2012 AO because ot was a semi and Rafa beat him there. Just like he would've beat him at any of those other tournaments had Fed managed to turn up.
True again, the situation reversed and then Federer was the one missing finals. Shame though it couldn't truly reverse with Federer meeting Nadal 3 times in 4 weeks on fast indoor hard all the time and hardly playing him anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Order View Post
And if Fed retired in 2010, it would not help his case against Rafa whatsoever because he lost in HC and Grass slam finals to Rafa. Fed has never beat Nadal in a HC major. EVER. That's a fact that you have to live with.

In 2010 Federer was 28 turning 29, he was not old, not even in tennis terms it's just a lame excuse you ****s bring up all the time but to no avail.
Yeah it does help though that Nadal never played him in a HC major til 2009 when Federer had won more HC slams than anyone in history and would only win one more. When you've won 8 already you can say you're past the best HC slam days (just like Djokovic beating nadal at RG this year wouldn't mean much since Nadal has already racked up 7 and is bound to lose again soon) 28 will also be considered old for Nadal though. Oh I get his body is old, but Fed;s mind was old at 27. He had 4 years of making an insane amount of finals so a mental dip was always bound to come. Federer was non stop from the start of the year til the finish for 4 years. Not that he became terrible, but when you have a rival like Nadal, losing 5 % and them gaining 5% is enough.
__________________
How to clarky - work out most or only realistic outcome, claim the opposite
Federer, Djokovic, Delpo fan (also like Nalbandian, Dimitrov, Tsonga)
Towser83 is offline   Reply With Quote