Thread: Bench Press
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #304
sabala
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFreddy View Post
Today I did 275 for 20 reps for 3 sets 5min rest between sets. Both new shoulders feel great.
Monstrous! Must feel good to be back, nice job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itagaki View Post
Well that's what gets me... It sorta reads like this

Start here
?????
Progress happens

It's just not measurable enough for me. There are programs that run similar to the idea (of adding reps over time), most notably some Hepburn programs. But this one progresses methodically.

I think it's something like 4 days a week, you do the same exercise and weight each day. Each week you add a rep to one of the days. So week one might go like this

Squat 300lbs
2, 2, 2, 2

Week 2
3, 2, 2, 2

Week 3
3, 3, 2, 2

Week 4
3, 3, 3, 2

Week 5
3, 3, 3, 3

Add weight and restart.

It's something akin to that anyway. How long does it take you to go from 3x5 to 3x10 and with how many sessions a week?
Depends on how faithful I am to getting into the gym Maybe a month to 3 months? Seems like I progress slower at the 225 weight though.

I don't do a specific # of days per week. I just worry about how many days rest between workouts and I will vary those on occasion, (see post 300).

My reps will vary each set. I will go to the gym this weekend, (PROMISE!!) and guessing I will start bench at 165lbs. Warm up of 145 then 1st set, probably 5 reps, 2nd set, maybe 3 or 4 reps and 3rd set probably 3 reps at most - I don't use a spotter as well.

In a months time, (still doing 165lbs) it may be something like 1x7, 1x5, 1x4. In 2months time I may be at 1x10, 2x9 and at that point, the next time I go in, I'll move up in weight - either 180 or 185, (probably 185 since it looks more impressive, heh) anyway, I won't really know until I get in and start lifting. Guess I will have to update here now!

Checked the 24Hr Fitness site. My last workout was May 25th, 2011! Looking back at my records, it seems I go 6 - 8 times per month on average. I do upper/lower body on same day too and have pretty limited number of exercises I do. I actually hate going to the gym, lol, but I know if you want results you have to make it a habit as well as push yourself.

P.S. I worked out with Bubba Smith years ago - he was a member at my gym. Dude was in there EVERY DAY! Worked out with him on bench, (speaking of) once and I was.... sooooo sore afterwards I didn't go back in for a week! Super nice dude, miss seein' him around, that's for sure..
sabala is offline   Reply With Quote