Thread: Bench Press
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #305
onehandbh
Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I'll give it try if I decide to test how much I can lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itagaki View Post
Well that's what gets me... It sorta reads like this

Start here
?????
Progress happens

It's just not measurable enough for me. There are programs that run similar to the idea (of adding reps over time), most notably some Hepburn programs. But this one progresses methodically.

I think it's something like 4 days a week, you do the same exercise and weight each day. Each week you add a rep to one of the days. So week one might go like this

Squat 300lbs
2, 2, 2, 2

Week 2
3, 2, 2, 2

Week 3
3, 3, 2, 2

Week 4
3, 3, 3, 2

Week 5
3, 3, 3, 3

Add weight and restart.

It's something akin to that anyway. How long does it take you to go from 3x5 to 3x10 and with how many sessions a week?

The determining of the start set would depend on your level of experience. For a rank beginner, probably the SS method. Do a set of 5, add weight, do a set, add weight etc until the bar speed begins to slow down. Then at that point do two more sets of 5 and that's the first day

Otherwise I'd just pick a weight you can comfortably do 3x5 with. Doesn't have to be ambitious as the set to failure helps take care of how light it is.

It would probably be in the context of a full body routine three days/week. Bench press itself would be 1-2 times per week. Ideally alternating with overhead press. (i.e. Bench, OHP, Bench, OHP, Bench, OHP is the first two weeks)