View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #60
TomT
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stergios View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new here and new to tennis. So, I'll introduce my self.

I've been waving in life for as long as I can remember my self. I can't help it but to try out what comes to mind more than twice. Though I never act impulsively.

I've been changing hobbies, friends and jobs through out my life. Weirdly enough I was very stable in relationships but that's another story.

Anyway, in summer of 2012 I was fed up with my job and I started to looking up for a new hobby to have some fun and mentally relax. I tried quite a few things, from rock climbing to skydiving. And then came tennis.
I really hooked up with the sport and I started to play at least twice a week.

I'm known for my extremities and tennis wasn't going to be of any difference. To make a long story short, in a few months time I decided to get rid of my current job (at least for a year), move to an apartment of 1/4 of the size and price of my previous one and get my extra time and savings into tennis, for a year.

After studying the NTRP levels of tennis I had to set a bold goal, right?
I want to know if it is possible to get to a level of NTRP 5 in just one year of intense training;

I know it's a long post and a long shot too but I wanted to share it with you and make you feel it as i feel it... More over I would be very humbled to listen to any tips or suggestions you may have.

Stergios
---------------------
Dream like a child and work like a real athlete in life.
Well Stergios, I like your sig, but I think it's important to set realistic goals. If you're young, and fit, and have had some experience playing 'ball and tool' sports such as baseball, table tennis, squash, badminton, etc., and with a passionate commitment and many hours of diligent, tedious practice, then maybe you might reach a 3.5 to 4.0 level of competitive play in a year. The difference between that and a 5.0 player is, I would guess, beyond your capability to comprehend at this time. Anyway, I think it's beyond my comprehension at this time.

5.0 is a really proficient level of play. It's a long term goal (certainly much longer than a year) for somebody just starting out. Here's a suggestion. If you're really committed to and passionate about this, then put it out there. Start a thread on Talk Tennis. A video diary of your progress.

Last edited by TomT : 03-03-2013 at 03:05 AM.
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote