View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #40
The_Order
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towser83 View Post
Which means on clay Nadal owns Federer and on other surfaces it's "quite even". I agree.

The 2-0 on HC slams is a bit misleading though considering they didn't meet til 2009 when Federer has been dominating the HC slams for 4 years having won 8 out of the last 10. 8 is more than anyone else in history has won and Federer was towards the end of his HC glory days. He wasn't washed up or anything, but we're talking small margins and Federer needed to be a bit better to beat Nadal who was starting to play his best HC tennis. If Federer happens to lose to Nadal this year at the USO, 9 years after winning his first USO title,people will probably use that to "prove" Nadal owns Federer at the USO and would have beaten him 6 times there or whatever. It's a bit like if now someone who never played Nadal at RG before beat him this year after he's won 7 titles. Does it really give a fair reflection?

To the original point of the article, Nadal-Djokovic is impressive. It's impressive how they can keep a rally going for ages but more than half the match is boring. It becomes too much.Just too long and grinding with no variety. Fedal is better to watch even on clay when you know who's going to win. You know the outcome but the tennis has more contrast.
So then the grass h2h is also misleading since Rafa was a school boy when Fed beat him in 2006.

I like how you conveniently leave out the fact that 17 year old Rafa was beating PEAK Fed on HC, but you don't fail to mention Federer's age as the reason he lost to Nadal at AO which is complete bs based on what I just mentioned. In AO09 Federer was in top form he demolished Del Potro and Roddick on his way to the final. Yes he didn't serve very well, but the fact that Nadal was fatigued from his semi evened it up. Their ground game was quite good with many exciting rallies. In the end Rafa beat him and it wasn't because of his age.

And let me ask you this, if Federer was too old at AO12, how did he all of a sudden have the ability to belt Rafa at IW? Did he drink from his fountain of youth or something? How did he go on to win Wimbledon if he was too old? He beat both Novak and Murray up there so tell me how all of a sudden he wasn't too old? His 2012 season was better than 2010 and 2011, despite being older.