View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #92
arche3
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_Smith View Post
So, it more effective than a directive approach?!?!

Cheers
In my humble opinion of only 1 student. (I coach my son)
The more I can nudge him towards the right form via visual and leading cues the better he learns a new skill. The words often get in the way because what is obvious to me is not obvious to my son. Through trial and error over the past 6 years I've learned to fix obvious technical flaws (such as wrong grips, etc...) but allow him to learn via his own internal logic.
I often ask him how the ball and or racket felt at impact. For example on a kick serve practice session last week he told me he felt like he was carving up , down and around the ball. Throwing it in the way he saw the shot he wanted to hit.
I discovered if I can with small nudges and comments towards a desired form he learns it faster. A small comment like hit the outside of the ball on cross court fhs worked instantly while prior I had him focusing on footwork to get to the ball properly he was stagnating. He had a tendency to run too fast to his fhs on the run. And ended up out of position and too close to the ball. One cue to hit the outside of the ball going cross court had him instantly hit a repeatable ball and he was in position much easier without over running it and getting too close.
I now just try to stay out of the way as much as I can and he is turning into a really good player. No real flaws in his game.