View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #40
Benhur
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Now, back into stuff, guys.It is completely unbelievable the % Connors had.Playing so many years atop, going into 1985 ( 33 yrs oldˇˇ) and still at 85% or so, it is a tribute to him.I think his time was the most competitive ever or, at least, one of the most competitive.There were great champs but also a solid ground, with many US players you don´t see anymore.Yet Jimbo was capable of such a %.wowˇˇˇ that alone should place him among the truly greats, not mentioning how enjoyable was seeing him play like a demon.
Yes, that’s pretty much how I feel too, even if at the time I found Connors too much of a professional jerk to like him. But ther IS something quite unique about him, and related to the fact that at the age of 32-33 he still had an 85+ career winning percentage. He is almost in his own category in this respect. And the fact that in his career he was dealing with 3 other guys who are also in the top 4 in this same category, makes the whole thing even more impressive. Nobody else in the open era can really be compared to these 4 in this kind of consistency, especially in the 90s.
Benhur is offline   Reply With Quote