View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #76
heycal
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jr View Post
Crossing your legs should be self-explanatory - it makes your hips and lower back sit unevenly and adds untold extra tension/pressure to certain points on one side more than the other.

So far as lying on recliners. Most slump too much (so you don't slide down I guess) and so load up the compression on your lower back in an unnatural way. This can causes hypertrophy or atrophy of the various muscles around your hips/back and, generally, adds to back issues.

Many people also sit on them not lined up with the TV - the TV is usually out to one side - so most people spend their time leaning one way, meaning more uneven pressure down the torso/spine/hips.
I think i do tend to slump to one side as well, my right side, and that's where more of my pain is.

So what is the proper way to sit in a recliner, or on a couch, or on the bed to watch a movie? There must be alternatives to watching to "Gone with the Wind" in an ergonomic office chair with feet on the floor, etc.

What are the ways one can 'lounge' comfortably while reading and watching movies that isn't going to cause trouble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boramiNYC View Post
crossing the legs doesn't need to be harmful. furthermore there's no one position that's perfect or dangerous as long as you keep in mind symmetry and balance. any one position kept too long is bad. even if it's the perfect position. gotta move, change, and stretch.

make sure to cross both sides. learn how to control your pelvis angles and balance. if you tend to tilt back a lot consciously tilt forward. move and stretch the pelvis a lot in all six directions. rotate left and right, tilt front and back, tilt to each side. and all the combinations of two and three directions. if you are slouched in a couch for too long stretch to the other direction. that sense of awareness and balance is far more important than any perfect posture. later on the resting state posture comes into effect but initially moving and stretching more is the most important.
Sounds pretty sensible to me, Borami. But you'll have to take up the "crossing legs can be okay" business with Bobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povl Carstensen View Post
Sorry to repeat myself, but I strongly advocate wedge pillows for chairs you spend most of your time in. Easy, cheap remedy against rounding your back, crossed legs or not.
I actually spend a lot of time in an easy chair, working on a laptop on my lap, resting on top of a pillow. (This used to be done with a leg crossed, usually the right over the left, but now I'll try to change that.) Perhaps a wedge pillow -- which I think is where your knees are forced lower than your hips -- wouldn't work in this situation?
heycal is offline   Reply With Quote