View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #33
iradical18
Professional

Send a message via AIM to iradical18

Quote:
Originally Posted by diredesire View Post
Maybe he gets to see it in the mirror on a daily basis as a reminder of what he's living his life for? It doesn't HAVE to make sense to you. I personally think it's the exact same thing as someone having self-destructive spending habits and racking up thousands of dollars of credit card debt. Why is it OK to criticize someone because they got a mark on their body, but it seems acceptable/accepted that someone smokes cigarettes, etc? IMHO, that's an equally visual indication of someone unable to reason/follow a logical train of thought, no? Is the counter argument that they can quit? Is it/is it not still a character flaw? Is being pre-disposed to addiction and/or fallacious images of 'cool' not at all comparable to having a "permanent" mark on your body? Is it the (opportunity) cost?

I'm all for people having their own opinions regarding body modifications, but there's interesting (double) standards when it comes to calling these decisions out, I find.
Couldn't have said it better myself, tattoos are definitely one of those really subjective areas. I've encountered quite a bit of judgement so I'm used to it but people are stuck in their ways.
iradical18 is offline   Reply With Quote