View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #34
Overdrive
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by diredesire View Post
It's hard to be the one defending things that are unpopular, especially with the older crowd I think people are quick to judge things they don't understand, and the understanding portion of the argument is subjective, so there's no right way to approach these discussions. There are many anecdotal cases of good/bad tattoo stories, it's easy to judge. IMHO there are so many things that are more concerning in society than the act of getting a tattoo/piercing/etc, but we like to have things to talk about, I guess. In the end, if someone disagrees with you, it's simple to dismiss your reasoning if you're already "just wrong."

Maybe he gets to see it in the mirror on a daily basis as a reminder of what he's living his life for? It doesn't HAVE to make sense to you. I personally think it's the exact same thing as someone having self-destructive spending habits and racking up thousands of dollars of credit card debt. Why is it OK to criticize someone because they got a mark on their body, but it seems acceptable/accepted that someone smokes cigarettes, etc? IMHO, that's an equally visual indication of someone unable to reason/follow a logical train of thought, no? Is the counter argument that they can quit? Is it/is it not still a character flaw? Is being pre-disposed to addiction and/or fallacious images of 'cool' not at all comparable to having a "permanent" mark on your body? Is it the (opportunity) cost?

I'm all for people having their own opinions regarding body modifications, but there's interesting (double) standards when it comes to calling these decisions out, I find.
DD, I did not question his character. You took that post way too close to heart or over-looked it. I simply asked him a question regarding the actual purpose and the reason of it. So far, he hasn't answered it. I asked another person with a tattoo and they answered it with complete nonsense. And I should've change 'permanent' to 'semi-permanent' (as they can be removed, but can cost a pretty petty).

I didn't say it HAS to make sense to me. Objectively, it doesn't make sense.

I didn't say that I accepted smoking either. I don't go into areas where smoking is allowed and I'm usually not around smokers because produces second-hand smoking. However, I'm not saying anything about their character either; it's just a preference on my health and what is best for me.