View Single Post
Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #273
DaveInBradenton
Rookie

This afternoon I compared the 7G with the Redondo 98 MP+.

The Redondo demo looks like a 3rd place finisher compared to the 5G and 7G. It has a lackluster paint job. I would call it flat metallic maroon with battleship grey contrasting segments on the hoop. Not a lot of eye appeal, but I hope a brand new one would look better than this demo. Then there's the dark mustard brown (I'm being polite) leather grip that looks like it was baked in someone's trunk for a Florida summer. It's smooth and "tacky-less". The fact is, it's tacky, but not in a good way. It's got Gosen Micro 17 strings which I'm guessing are cheap (17 gauge I like though) And then there's the name, "Redondo". To me it sounds too much like REDUNDANT. You know, ........like compared to the 7G. Pro Kennex marketing, what were you thinking? Frankly, I really wanted to just compare the 5G with the 7G with the Kinetic system, but because the price to demo 2 or 4 rackets is the same, I looked for a couple other rackets to request as well.

All that being said, the Redondo really plays well! A very nice racket. I like it.

The Redondo has good power, but not as much as the effortless power of the +.5 inch 7G.

The Redondo has more control than the 7G. Less power, more control. I think it breaks down to personal preference. Take your pick.

The Redondo is a very comfortable racket, as you would expect with a flex rating in the mid 50s. I would give the edge in comfort to the 7G. I assume it's th Kinetic tech.

I prefer both these rackets to the 5G, but please note that the new demo 5G I have has the highest frequency string ping, making me think it's strung tight. I know this is not scientific, but I'm just reporting it.

Next time out, I'm going to take all three rackets to see if my impressions are the same.

Best wishes,
Dave
Tampa Bay