Thread: Cal Bears
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #39
andfor
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikej View Post
really? who behind them in the rankings is better?

my answer might be OSU, but there are arguments against every team behind them

UK is one spot lower - they've lost 6-1 and 4-0 last couple days

OU is two spots lower - Duke beat them already without too much trouble

UGA is three spots lower - they're continuing to struggle with the Ole Miss loss, their 4th of the season

the real answer is -
other than UVA, and maybe USC and UCLA, nobody is that dominant this year that they can't be taken down by a good team ranked 10-20 spots lower playing an inspired match

your point about the rankings continuing to work themselves out is true, but don't expect Duke to be ranked much differently by the end of the season - they'll still be top 5-8 in the end, and they'll have a good shot at NCAA semis if they get the right (meaning UVA-free) draw
I should have said either Duke is over rated or SDSU is under rated. You make a lot of good points. When going over Duke's current season they look solid and their ranking placement seems fair at this time. This Duke loss could be chalked up to a slight home court advantage Cal. Taking nothing away from Cal they were the better team yesterday. These types of potential tough regular season match ups are played just for this purpose, to acclimate teams to adverse condtions.

I will add one other factor to upsets in college tennis, injury. Although it's my least favorite and I veiw it more as an excuse, an injured player on the court in the line-up is a little harder to pick out. If a injured player is on the court in the line-up, the coach decided he is still better than his possible replacement. Regrardless, that's why teams have more than 6 players. Injuries, team depth and who can adjust best when they happen are part of the game.

Last edited by andfor : 03-11-2013 at 11:33 AM.
andfor is offline   Reply With Quote